Saturday, June 9, 2012

Welcome!

I've been a woodworker for some time now, but I've never received any kind of training or help. When I say I'm an amateur, it's because my efforts are amateurish, if a little ambitious.

Here are a few things I've built in the past:


This is probably the most ambitious project I ever took on: floor-to-ceiling, wall-to-wall built-in bookshelves with a carcase cabinet on the bottom (with doors) and a window seat in the center. This is a lo-res photo, so I apologize for the quality. It's the only photo I have of this project, which I called the Taj Mahal, a gigantic labor of love for my girlfriend at the time. I built it into the living room of the house we once owned.

I also built us two nightstands:
Another cabinet with a door and a curved-front base, top, and little shelf. Again, lo-res photo.

Both those projects were built with a combination of interior-grade (beech veneer) plywood and solid white pine. The Taj Mahal probably took a month from start to finish; the nightstand was done in a day.

I've also been trying to learn woodcarving. Here's my first-ever project:
It's a gnome, carved out of a cedar garden stake.

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment